Monday, October 10, 2011

Burlap Wreath Tutorial

This is my first tutorial EVER so please forgive me for all of the Awful picture quality, missing steps of pictures, gross looking door, etc. 
I was inspired by this pin on pinterest. I was so excited to find something so adorable that was easy to make And affordable!
(Again, I'm sorry about the bad picture quality!)
Here is how it all came together. I made a few mistakes (just enough to give me a headache) and I will be sure to let you know what they are so you can avoid them! Life is to short to live it with headaches!
I started out with a trip to Home Depot for a length of plumbing insulation ($1.50) to be my wreath frame. However, in my crazed eagerness to get started on my project, I cut the insulation too short. Here is what it looks like when that happens.
No. Bueno. also don't try to hot glue the ends together. That was a major duh moment for me. (It's plastic... So it melts...)
And so I made another run over to Home Depot. This time I measured my insulation before cutting it to make sure the circle didn't crease.
TaDa!
Just Duct tape the ends together and you have a perfect wreath form!
The next step is to cut strips of burlap (I cut mine about two inches wide) and wrap it around your wreath frame. Make sure they overlap a bit so you can't see the foam through it.
That another mistake I made. For an unknown reason I figured I would need about three yards of burlap for this project. And then when I got to JoAnnes I decided to buy five yards. Just in case.
Really?! I have sewn before. Five yards is a ridiculous amount of fabric for a wreath. I don't know what I was thinking.
If you are going to go out and buy burlap for this project go ahead and get a yard. It's like $3 and unless you have a 50% off  coupon and then it's less. You will probably only use half a yard but burlap is so versatile. I'm sure you will figure out something fantastic to do with the scraps. 

I forgot to take a picture of the good wreath form with just the burlap. But essentially this is what it will look like.
The next step is to make flowers! You will need a hot glue gun, a few pieces of misc. fabric, and a little bit more burlap. All you do is cut out different sizes of circles in the burlap and fabrics and layer them a few different ways to make it look interesting. Glue them together and arrange it on your frame. Move stuff around until it looks right to you. You will probably want to space the different colors equally through the wreath. I also added buttons to add some dimension. You can also use scrapbooking brads or whatever else strikes your fancy!
Glue 'em on, and Hang it up!
I love it. I Love It I Love It I LOVE IT!!! Go ahead and try it. Link up your pictures when you are done!
Smile! Today is a great day!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it! Great tutorial! I think it would be cute for Shonee to make for her room! We will have to give it a try.