Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Real Heros

This is a time to remember.
I'm pretty sure everyone knows what tomorrow is. I just can't believe it was 10 years ago. I remember it so clearly. I was only 10 then. I remember getting ready for school and turning on the radio. The first plane had just hit. I was really confused and ran to tell my mom about it, who was in the shower. She assumed it was an accident. The second plane hit right after she joined us around the radio. I was young, but I was so sad and scared. We didn't have t.v. so I didn't see all of the footage then. I'm not sure I wish I would have.
Before we left to school we heard about the Pentagon. My mom started crying. She told us that my grandpa was supposed to be having a meeting in there that morning. We still went to school. I don't think we really did anything that day.
We got a call later that day from my grandpa. He had been across the street when the plane hit. He was ok.
My husband introduced me to this picture a few days ago. It's inspiring. For any of you who don't know, the FDNY on the little boys shirt in the right of the picture stands for Fire Department of New York.
The real heros.
Talk about inspiring.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice tribute. Grandpa was in the pentagon though. Not across the street. He was in the area that got hit that morning. They had heard about the twin towers and moved to another area to watch the news just before it hit. He could taste the jet fuel. He and another man helped a lady get out that had been trampled. He saw many injured and being an EMT he wanted to help, but because he had a guest badge they wouldn't let him. He walked hours to Uncle Jeffs house in a shirt covered with soot. He kept the shirt for a while. I don't know if he has it still. Love you Babe!